Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Advent Adventures...

We are counting down our Advent box this year. We started tonight, December 1st with the first door... Twenty five days until Christ's birth, Christmas Day.
I have seen this done by my friends in many ways...
Some put treats inside.
Some teach scriptures.
Some give their kiddos missions (like bake cookies and give to neighbors)

As I see it there really is no wrong or right in starting an Advent tradition. The goal is to focus more on Christ for Christmas other than shopping and Santa.

My goal (because I am cheap) was to find things around the house for free and tag them along with a story.

I have come up with half and will post the rest in a few days.
I hope you can take this and run with it!

1. Band-aid: Jesus is our healer. Read Jesus heals the 10 lepers in Luke ch. 17 (p.s. this went over really well since she got to put her band-aid on before bed!)
2. Pecan nut: God taking care of animals. Matthew 10 & we have a book with kids thanking God for nuts to feed the animals. (Then she will get to eat the pecan)
3. Leaf: Noah's ark. Dove went out and brought back the olive branch, new life.
4. Butterfly: Read story Hermie and Wormie. Transformation, we are like the caterpillar to the butterfly. (we have a butterfly hair clip)
5. Light bulb: God made the light/dark in Genesis and Jesus is the light of the world.
6. Rock: David and Goliath (her favorite story right now)
7. Hay: Jesus born in a manger. Story of His birth in Luke.
8. Cup: the wedding feast where Jesus turns water into wine for His first miracle.
9. Bread: Give us today our daily bread. Prayer in Matt 15.
10. Q-tip: Sit and listen to Jesus. Mary and Martha with Jesus in Luke 10.

Please share your traditions,
Natasha

4 comments:

  1. We just finished day one of our advent too. Ours was a gingerbread house ornament so we talked about "unless the Lord builds the house..." and then put together gingerbread houses. I love your ideas so far. Please post the rest soon. I haven't finished planning out my 25 days yet, so I might steal some of your ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to plan something appropriate for a two year old. I love your ideas and your advent box . . . did you make it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas NHP. I think I might steal some of these. You are so creative and inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family never did an advent-type calendar growing up, but I definitely knew all of those stories...

    I was just thinking...if you keep all of the same items and stories from year to year, eventually they'll be able to tell YOU the connection!

    Awesome idea!!

    ReplyDelete