Sunday, January 10, 2010

Menu...

I love when I see friends who share recipes and menu ideas, so I thought I would give it a whirl.
We do not have a "set" grocery store time, as in we do not shop for groceries every other week, we just make a list of meals, buy everything, eat it all up, then shop again. It works for us.
It may not be the most organized system, but I like it and we usually only have to make small grocery runs for milk or fresh produce. This list does not include our drinks, which are usually grape, apple, o.j. (100% juice of course, and we are still in the half water phase) and milk. I also didn't include our fruit or vegetable list.

I make two lists.
One with everything I need to buy at the store, the looooong list.
One with the list of meals that we will make. I post it up and know what we have in the house that we can make to eat. I keep these lists in my recipe book and have several to look through if I want an easy month for meal ideas.

Breakfast: (We always try serve a fruit with breakfast. We use fresh, frozen, then canned as the month goes on.)
Egg and sausage casserole
Homemade banana muffins
Cranberry bread
Cereal
Yogurt with granola and fruit
Oatmeal
Egg sandwiches
Kashi Eggo's
Toast with p.b. and honey

Lunch:
Turkey sandwiches w/ avocado
Chicken Salad
Homemade honey spice pretzels
Roasted garlic and tomato spread
Morning Star's Black Bean Burgers (we love them)
Tuna salad
Cottage cheese
Mac n cheese
Leftovers from dinner

Dinner: (We always try to serve a veggie with dinner as well.)
Cheddar and scallion bread
Spaghetti
Artichoke dip
Almond chicken
Jambalaya
Ravioli
Sour cream cheese puffs
New Potato bake
While Chicken Chili
Bean Burritos
Sloppy Joes
BLT's
Monterey Chicken

Desserts:
Orange chip cookies
Raspberry bars
Date penwheels
Lemon cake delight
Nutella

Other menu items from last month:
Baked potato soup
Ruben's
Balsamic Pasta
Butterscotch cheesecake
Biscuits and gravy w/ eggs
Pizza

We usually use recipes from Taste of Homes magazine (which I LOVE), from allrecipes, or from that we have snatched from family and friends.

In between all these things there will be many snacks of nuts, kashi bars, and yes, even goldfish. One of my favorite things is Almond Butter. I love it on everything. Adam loves pickled okra.

We try to stick to the 75/25 rule of eating. 75% of the time we eat healthy, whole grain, fruits/veggies with every meal, lean meat (no red meat) and small portion sizes frequently throughout the day. Then the other 25% of the time we BLOW IT! Eat whatever we want and go to our favorite restaurants for fried foods and ice cream. Our two favorite places to go out to eat are Taco Buneo and Desi Wok. Party burritos and Indian chicken tikka masala are from God.

If you have favorite food websites or want to post your menu for the month, please leave a comment and let me check it out!

"But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Hebrews 5:14

NHP

1 comment: