Thursday, May 14, 2009

something fun, something hard

My goal of getting some creative juices out has been so fun. I have enjoyed spending some time making beautiful earrings. (And I have just about doubled my earring collection.)

This creative time has been a blast, but God has really convicted me about another, lets just say an "unhealthy addiction" area.
If you have issues when thin people talk about weight, stop reading now, if you want to read what I have to say, please continue.
Change does not happen overnight. Affairs start with the first flirt, success with hardwork, you get the point. During our first three years of marriage I put on about 40 lbs. It did not appear on my body overnight, it was many gradual decisions that increased my weight. When I was ready for it to disappear, it took 18 months of hard work-outs and changing my eating habits to shed those 40 lbs.
I have noticed lately that I have become addicted to bread and sugar. Can't make it a day without many cravings, that must be satisfied or I lose it.
Breads being: cereal, pasta, rice, bread, biscuits, cornbread, tortillas and the like.
Sugar being: raw cookie dough, cake, and basically any thing I can get, pronto.
For me it really got bad when I didn't want to read Avi Joy a nap-time story because ice cream was screaming my name in the kitchen. Ummm, food over child? not good.

I took the matter up with the Lord and completed a 5 day bread and sugar fast.
OH MY WORD. People who eat like this all the time, you are amazing. When you are addicted to certain foods that you cannot eat, it hurts.
BUT I learned so much!!!
All things are possible with God's help. I never cheated, not even once.
I had SOOOOO much more energy.
There are delicious healthy (non bread/sugar) foods.
I had more time to do other things instead of eating.
Adam noticed I enjoyed my 'real' food more than normal

If you are curious, here were my meals each day:
Day 1- plain oatmeal, carrots, chicken breast, apple w/almond butter, salad and watermelon
Day 2- plain oatmeal, 1/2 protein bar, salad w/chicken, pineapple juice, 1/2 banana w/almond butter, veggie burger w/cheese, strawberries and watermelon
Day 3- cheese omelet, veggie salad, chicken salad w/ edamame, 1/2 protein bar, chicken cordon blue and spicy squash
Day 4- banana, grape juice, 1/2 protein bar, chicken salad w/ edemame, 1/2 apple w/almond butter, sausage/egg/cheese, milk
Day 5- orange fiber shake w/strawberries, 1/2 banana, tuna salad, apple w/peanut butter... then dinner was freedom (off to a wedding: dinner & cake!)

It was hard, but I felt a sense of victory that I can make good decisions and not let food control me, or my behavior. Since then, I have had dessert and bread each day and I know they are a gift from God.

"So I commend the enjoyment of life, because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad. The joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun. " Ecclesiastes 8:15

sweet sips,
Natasha

2 comments:

  1. Good job Natasha. I've recently cut out sugar (and all junk food actually)...four days and counting now. So far I haven't had any strong cravings, and I feel great. My sweet tooth was really getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sooo need to jump on this wagon!! The more carbs/sugars I eat the more I crave them. I need to hit you up for some good recipes. Great going on your fast and thanks for sharing your struggle!

    ReplyDelete