Monday, August 24, 2009

Do you like my fanny pack?

My mom, Avi Joy and I started Vietnamese lessons this weekend. Talk about...


WE.WERE.THE.ONLY.WHITE.PEOPLE.THERE! It is not often that we find ourselves standing out in a crowd, but in this case, we walked into a Vietnamese language school (about 200 people) and we're definitely noticed!
When I googled "standing out in a crowd" something else came up.
Yes, fanny pack's too will get you noticed. (over a speedo with your shirt rolled up of course)
So we walk in, fully Caucasian, with fanny packs on and a Vietnamese child in our arms. I had major butterflies and felt really nervous. We ended up talking with the language school director, Hai, and he was super nice. While talking with him, several more people came and welcomed us and encouraged us about starting lessons. We were SO thankful for their hospitality.
Avi Joy will be in the 3-5 age class learning ABC's, colors and numbers.
My mom and I will be in the "Advanced 3rd grade class." I LOVE it. Two adults with 8 years olds. Hey, if you want to learn and be apart of a new culture, you have to do uncomfortable things. Nonetheless, we are pumped about learning Vietnamese!!!

On an artistic note my Vietmom-blog-friend posted this and it peeked my interest...

Any opportunity to serve kiddos with art always sounds like a great idea to me... so, I entered a painted step stool for the silent auction.
I painted it red with flower design on one side and a scripture on the other side. Fully distressed it and aged with paint. I love the little mail handle pulls on the sides, so cute.
"Children are a gift from the Lord. They are a reward from Him." Psalm 127:3

A little sip of my life...
Natasha

4 comments:

  1. WOW! Vietnamese classes! I can't wait to hear how that goes!

    Also, THANK YOU for the stool! It was dropped off at the foundation office today and several of the office workers started putting in advace bids on it! Truly a perfect item for this event. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! Where are you taking the lessons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny that you posted that when I was just thinking this week that I need to get in touch with you. I joined a homeschool co-op this last week and one of the mothers has a child from Vietnam and another one from China. She moved here last year from St. Louis and doesn't really have any connections with multicultural families like she did before she moved. I mentioned your name and told her that I might be able to get some info from you to pass on to her. She was talking about wanting to learn Vietnamese because they are traveling there as a family next year and they want to be able to converse with the people. Would you mind if she called you? If that would be okay with you just e-mail me at learningfourlife@sbcglobal.net. And, as always, loved your blog...especially the fanny pack pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi all,

    Yes I will email you!

    Thank you Jessica... I am so glad you liked the stool, it was such a joy to paint!

    We are taking lessons at the local VN church. (St. Joseph's) There are two VN churches in town. We are friends with one of the pastors but his church does not have lessons after, but the other church does. Apparently most Asian churches (Korean, Chinese, etc) have church then language school right after.
    The kids already speak it but they are learning to read and write it mostly.
    It starts at 1pm every Sunday.
    Thank you all for checking up on our life : )

    Natasha

    ReplyDelete